I’m putting the materials together for a press kit right now. I had no idea how much of a process this is. Really, I thought I could just write the materials, send them to my manager, get her approval, then send them off to the Intel newsroom. Nope, not so much. I guess I should be used to the large corporation way of doing things by now. Seriously, I’m not complaining, it’s just been a learning experience for me. I’m beginning to appreciate all the work that goes into everything that gets published. I know you’re all wondering what I’m talking about…
This is how it goes down (or what I’m experiencing, anyway):
- I write the materials, then send them to my manager.
- She sends them back with suggestions/edits/critiques. I take another crack at it. Send it to her again.
- She sends it back to me with a list of people who need to look at specific parts of the document (for example, if I mention Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), I need to send that paragraph to the person who does PR for WiDi, so that she can approve the messaging and make sure it’s all correct).
- I send the parts to those people. They send it back to me with edits. I send it back to them for approval of how I interpreted their edits. Chances are, they send it back to me with more edits. Sometimes this process only takes one or two back-and-forths, but often it takes many.
- After I get approval of those specific parts, I send the whole document to my manager’s manager for approval. He sends it back with edits (luckily, very few in the case of what I’m working on now).
- I then contact Pat from the Intel Newsroom to alert him of the upcoming press kit. He makes suggestions and sends me a template to fill out.
- Then, I send the document to legal. Legal sends it back with all the necessary disclaimers and telling me to find citations for the reports that are listed.
- I contact my manager to find out who to contact to find the reports. She gets back to me. I then contact those people. They get back to me (soon, hopefully).
- Then, and only then, I can fill out the template Pat sent me. I then gather all the other materials that have been created for the kit and add them to the template.
- Then, I send them off to Pat.
Phew! Hopefully, the kit will be up soon so I can finally tell you guys what I’ve been working on
Filed under: Uncategorized | Leave a Comment